This investigation will help you to:
- "What Causes the Weather?" - About.com
Article reviews the basics behind the causes of weather, focusing on the uneven heating of the Earth and the Earth's rotation. Also reviews the first law of equilibrium, which explains the physics of why warm air rises.
- "Stability and Cloud Development" - John Hannan, Florida State University
Reviews the mechanisms that cause air to rise. Includes a graphic that illustrates convective uplift, orographic uplift, frontal wedging, and convergence.
- "The Thunderstorm" - National Weather Service - NOAA
Defines and gives facts on thunderstorms, explains the conditions necessary for thunderstorm development, the stages of a thunderstorm, and types of thunderstorms.
- National Weather Service forecast office
- National Weather Association Local Chapters
Includes links to several local weather offices.