This investigation will help you to:
- Meteoroids, Meteors, and Meteorites
- To see more images of Asteroid Ida and her moon, visit the following web site:
- To see more images of Halley's Comet, visit the following web sites:
- To learn more about impact craters on objects other than Earth, visit the following web sites:
- To learn more about how scientists maps Earth-approaching asteroids, visit the following web sites:
- To learn more about Barringer Crater, visit the following web sites:
- Asteroid Fact Sheet, National Space Science Data Center at Goddard Space Flight Center
Check out a list of numerous asteroids with a data set for each.
- What Are Asteroids? National Space Science Data Center at Goddard Space Flight Center
Read a detailed description of asteroids, the different types of asteroids, and where asteroids are located in the solar system.
- Comet Fact Sheet, National Space Science Data Center at Goddard Space Flight Center
Check out this list of numerous comets with a data set for each.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Meteors and Meteorites, American Meteor Society
Curious to know answers to some commonly asked questions. If you don't understand the answer given, they invite you to contact them for clarification.
- Division of Meteorites, National Museum of Natural History - Smithsonian
What is a meteorite? How do you recognize a meteorite if you have one? Find out the answers to these questions plus get information about additional resources.
- Asteroids, National Space Science Data Center Photo Gallery
See images of several different asteroids, including Ida and its moon, Dactyl.
- Giotto Mission Page, National Space Science Data Center Photo Gallery
See images of Halley's Comet taken by Giotto when the comet last past Earth in the 1980s.
- Comets, National Space Science Data Center Photo Gallery
See some images of several different comets, including Halley.
- See the links under the Inquiring Further under Activity 2 for some images and information on impact craters on other bodies in the solar system.
- Asteroids and Early Earth History, Exploratorium Magazine Online
Read a little more about how impact craters form and what they reveal.
- Questions and Answers Regarding Near-Earth Asteroids, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Get some facts about whether asteroids are a risk to people on Earth.
- Relative Positions Of Asteroids Near Earth
Just for fun, check out this map showing asteroids near Earth.
- Barringer Crater (Meteor Crater)
Learn more about how the Barringer Crater came to be recognized as a meteor impact crater.
- Eugene Shoemaker, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Read a short bibliography about the scientist, Eugene Shoemaker, who made such a significant impact to the study of impact craters.