October 1-31, 2016
Promote the importance of geoscience to society
Meet with your congressional representatives when they are at home in their districts this October during Geoscience Congressional District Visits Days (Geo-DVD). Let them know why geoscience is important on a local, national, and global scale!
Serve as a resource to Congress, show the relevance of geoscience to your district, and convey the science behind key societal issues to lawmakers. From unlocking the energy mix and understanding natural hazards to ensuring clean water supplies and recognizing climate patterns, Geo-DVD will highlight the importance of geoscience research and geoscience-based industries to critical policy issues and the economy.
Arrange a meeting yourself, or let the geoscience societies help you schedule meetings with your congressional representatives. We will also provide you with the training and materials you need to help you effectively discuss the importance of geoscience research with Senators and Representatives.
Geoscience Congressional District Visits Days are supported by the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG), the American Geosciences Institute (AGI), the American Geophysical Union (AGU), the American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG), the Geological Society of America (GSA), the National Ground Water Association (NGWA), the Seismological Society of America (SSA), the Soil Science Society of America (SSSA), and the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME).
Look up your senators and represenative
Resources and Materials
- American Geophysical Union: District Congressional Visits Webinar
Communicating with Congress
- American Geosciences Institute: Tips for writing your member of Congress
- American Geosciences Institute: Helpful hints for meeting with members of Congress
- American Geophysical Union: How to Conduct a Successful District Visit
- National Ground Water Association: Tools for Contacting Congress
- Soil Science Society of America: Advocacy Toolkit
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research: Community Resources
Other Geoscience Policy Websites
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists: GEO-DC
- American Geosciences Institute: Geoscience Policy Program
- American Geophysical Union: Science Policy
- American Institute of Professional Geologists: Policy Position Statements
- Geological Society of America: Geology & Public Policy and News from the Hill RSS Feed
- National Ground Water Association: Government Affairs
- Seismological Society of America: Government Relations
- Soil Science Society of America: Science Policy
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration: Government Affairs and Public Policy
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research: Government Relations