Level: Upper-level Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral students
The Paleontological Society will support a student member to work as an intern with the American Geosciences Institute in summer 2023. The intern will take on substantive work while at AGI with a focus on the intersection of policy and the concerns and impacts on the paleontological community, with topics such as land access, specimen preservation, or any other topics pertinent to the Paleontological Society. The internship will focus on a policy-related project with interns expected to produce policy-maker accessible materials, such as Geoscience Currents, reports, factsheets, and articles for publication in AGI Member Society publications. The specific project topic and scope will be developed cooperatively between AGI staff, Paleontological Society representatives, and the intern.
Interns will be afforded opportunities to interact with federal agencies, National Academy of Sciences briefings and attend congressional hearings and briefings relevant to their project. The internship will be mostly virtual with a planned visit to Washington, D.C. for direct policy-related experiences. Interns will hone their writing and web publishing skills while gaining first-hand policy experience and improving their understanding of the policy-making process.
Applicants must be current student members of the Paleontological Society.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens, and currently enrolled in or have recently completed an undergraduate or graduate geoscience-related degree program. This is a compensated internship and will include any necessary travel expenses. The start date is flexible and will be determined based on the schedule of the successful applicant.
How to apply
Application Deadline: 31 March 2023
- Cover Letter, including a discussion of topics of interest relative to this internship
- List of References
- Current transcript (unofficial is sufficient)
- Any other documents you feel pertinent to this internship
Submission and Review
- Submit the required materials as PDFs via email to: email@example.com and specify Paleontological Society Internship in the subject line.
- Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered
- Review of applicants will begin after the application deadline. Final selection time will vary based on the number of applicants, but we expect to announce the decision by 17 April 2023.
For more information, send only inquiries to Christopher Keane.
This position is provided through a generous grant from the Paleontological Society. Applicants are encouraged to obtain credit for the internship from their university.