"Inclusive" practices that do not consider equitable access for individuals with disabilities are not inclusive. Disability transcends every population and all aspects of diversity. So then, why does it get so little attention in field-focused science disciplines? This webinar will discuss the existing geoscience field culture which can limit the inclusion of those with disabilities, identify common barriers to participation, and outline strategies to promote equitable access to field-based learning that is inclusive of individuals with disabilities and their perspectives. Please join panelists Anita Marshall (University of Florida) and Chris Atchison (University of Cincinnati) to share and learn about how to make your field experiences inclusive and accessible for all.
This webinar will be broadcast with closed captioning in English, Arabic, Chinese (Traditional), French, German, Japanese, and Spanish.
- Download the slides from this presentation
- International Association for Geoscience Diversity website
- Atchison, C.L., Parker, W.G., Riggs, N.R., Semken, S., and Whitmeyer, S.J., (2019). Accessibility and inclusion in the field: A field guide for central Arizona and Petrified Forest National Park, In Pearthree, P.A., ed., GSA 2019 Phoenix Field Guides: Geological Society of America Field Guide 55, 1–23, DOI: 10.1130/2019.0055(02).
- Atchison, C. L., Marshall, A.M, & and Collins, T., (2019). A multiple case study of inclusive learning communities enabling active participation in geoscience field courses for students with physical disabilities. Journal of Geoscience Ed. DOI: 10.1080/10899995.2019.1600962.
- Carabajal, I.G., Marshall, A.M., & Atchison, C.L. (2017). A synthesis of access and inclusion in geoscience education literature. Journal of Geoscience Education, 65, 531-541. DOI: 10.5408/16-211.1.
- Feig, A., Atchison, C.L., Stokes, A., & Gilley, B. (2019). Achieving inclusive field-based education: Results and recommendations from an accessible geoscience field trip. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 19(2), 66-87. DOI: 10.14434/josotl.v19i1.23455.
- Gilley, B.H., Atchison, C.L., Feig, A. & Stokes, A. (2015). Impact of inclusive field trips. Nature Geoscience, 8, 579-580. DOI: 10.1038/ngeo2500
- Greene, S., Ashley, K., Dunne, E., Edgar, K., Giles, S., Hanson, E., (2020). Toilet stops in the field: An educational primer and recommended best practices for field-based teaching. DOI: 10.31219/osf.io/gnhj2
- Hendricks, J.E., Atchison, C.L., & Feig, A.D. (2017). Effective use of personal assistants for students with disabilities: Lessons learned from the 2014 accessible geoscience field trip. Journal of Geoscience Education, 65(1), 72-80. DOI: 10.5408/16-185.1.
- Marshall, A & Thatcher, S., (2019). Creating Spaces for Geoscientists with Disabilities to Thrive. Eos, 100, DOI: 10.1029/2019EO136434.
- Designing Remote Field Experiences webpage