This webinar will introduce geologic mapping in the Great Lakes region, showcase projects from the Great Lakes Geologic Mapping Coalition, and review planning decisions made based on their work. Speakers from the Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan State Geological Surveys will discuss case studies of recent and ongoing projects in their states where geologic maps inform major decisions and empower communities to protect their people, resources, and economies.
Less than one-third of the U.S. is mapped at the level of detail necessary to make informed planning decisions on a local scale concerning natural resources, natural hazards, infrastructure planning, and environmental stewardship. In the Great Lakes region, the Great Lakes Geologic Mapping Coalition (GLGMC), a group including U.S. and Canadian state and provincial geological surveys, is producing detailed 3D geologic maps that are helping to provide decision-relevant information to Great Lakes state communities. Due to similar regional geology, these state surveys can work together, sharing their expertise and resources so that each can better address geologic issues in their area. Working with the communities, the GLGMC provides and makes maps that solve problems such as groundwater contamination and resource development.
Our speakers are:
- Richard C. Berg, Director, Illinois State Geological Survey | Slides Video
- Harvey Thorleifson, Director, Minnesota Geological Survey | Slides Video
- Jason Thomason, Associate Hydrogeologist and Section Head; Hydrogeology and Geophysics, Illinois State Geological Survey | Slides Video
- John Yellich, Director, Michigan Geological Survey at Western Michigan University | Slides Video
This webinar is co-sponsored by the American Association of State Geologists, Association of Engineering and Environmental Geologists, American Institute of Professional Geologists, Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society, Geological Society of America, National Association of State Boards of Geology, Society for Sedimentary Geology, and the Society of Exploration Geophysicists’ International Exposition and 88th Annual Meeting in Anaheim.
Resources to learn more:
- View this webinar's Question & Answer session
- The Great Lakes Geologic Mapping Coalition website
- U.S. Geological Survey National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program (NCGMP) website
- U.S. Geological Survey National Geologic Map Database, an interactive source for maps and mapping publications
- Minnesota Geological Survey online map database and county geological atlases
- Illinois State Geological Survey website explaining the process of modeling McHenry County in 3D
- Michigan Geological Survey mapping collections website
Search the Geological Surveys Database for reports and factsheets about geologic mapping.