- United States Geological Survey home page, USGS
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) home page
- The First Miners, University of California, Davis
- The Bronze Age, University of California, Davis
- Mineral Resources Program home page, USGS
- Mineralogical Society of America home page
- The Friends of Mineralogy home page
- National Mining Association home page
- Society of Exploration Geophysics home page
- Science News
Excellent source of articles describing the most recent and interesting events in scientific reserach.
- Earth, AGI
Published by the American Geosciences Institute, this magazine reviews current issues in the Earth Sciences and can serve as a valuable supplemental resource for teachers and students alike. Visit the web site for online articles and information about obtaining a one-year subscription (40% discount for AGI Member Society members; 65% discount for students).
- National Geographic
Excellent source of articles. Often includes helpful maps.
- The following videos, which are available in English and French, are distributed by: International Tele-Film Enterprises Ltd.
5090 Explorer Drive, Suite 301
Mississauga, Ontario L4W 4T9
Tel: (905) 629-3133, 1-800-561-4300
Fax: (905) 629-1211
Mining and Minerals Vignettes (23 minutes, 17 seconds):
1- Exploring for Minerals (4:20)
2- Panning for gold (2:57)
3- Exploration geologists (3:42)
4- Underground mining (3:00)
5- Surface mining (3:40)
6- Mining gypsum (3:03)
7- Mining potash (3:03)
Target audience: High school and university students, general public.
Geoscience Mapping (4 minutes, 30 seconds): This video looks into the study and application of geoscience, identification of mineral resources and geological mapping provide a base for the mineral industry of Atlantic Canada. Target audience: High school students and general public.
- Education Videos include: SME
Common Ground, Out of the Rock
Let's Do Mineral Science
Let's Do Mineral Science by Society for Mining
Metallurgy and Exploration
$10 each + shipping and handling.
PH: 303-973-9550 and 800-763-3132
8307 Shaffer Parkway, PO Box 277002, Littleton, CO 80127
- Minerals and Their Properties (VLC027), Visual Learning Company
(PH) 800-453 -8481 or email email@example.com.
This 20-minute video addresses the following concepts and terminology: inorganic, luster, streak, color, cleavage and fracture, specific gravity, hardness, Mohs scale, ore, metals, and gemstones. It includes a 15-question video review, 30-page Teacher’s Guide with 10 Student Masters, closed captioned ©2001 $89.95