The Harriet Evelyn Wallace Scholarship is available to all women pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degree in the geosciences at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education in a recognized geoscience program. Successful applicants will be thesis-based, full time students and due to the nature of the position, each applicant must either be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If selected, the new Harriet Evelyn Wallace Scholar will be subject to verification of U.S. citizenship or residency status. Applicants must also be a member of at least one of AGI’s Member Societies.
All materials must be submitted via email in PDF format.
Download the application template
Complete all sections of the formal application for the scholarship, including:
- A strict, 500-word limit abstract about your research interests in graduate school, why you can accomplish that research and what impact it will have on the geoscience community.
- A strict, 500-word limit personal statement about your non-academic interests. What roles do your passions, hobbies, employment, or other activities have in your life? Why are they important to you? How do these additional items make you a competitive applicant for the Wallace Scholarship?
- Submit a list of AGI’s professional member societies to which you are a member, and include your membership identification number for each.
- Indication of which graduate school you are attending, or intend on attending. Please include any acceptance forms or letters from the institution. (NOTE: You do not yet have to be accepted into your graduate program to apply for the Harriet Evelyn Wallace Scholarship. However, you will not receive any support until you have formally accepted your admission to the graduate program). Additionally, please indicate your expected graduation term and year clearly on your application.
- Curriculum Vitae (not resume), including short descriptions of any geoscience, technology, academic, professional development or applicable extracurricular activities. Please do not include descriptions of courses or coursework.
In addition, please upload individual PDF copies of the following items. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please redact and eliminate any identification numbers on these documents. This includes school ID numbers and Social Security numbers. If ID numbers of any kind are found within these documents, the application will be ineligible for review. There are no exceptions. Please read through all of your transcrips carefully!
- (Unofficial) Undergraduate Academic Transcript(s).
- (Unofficial) Graduate Academic Transcript(s) and/or Graduate Acceptance Letters (if applicable).
Name all of the documents in the following format:
- LastnameFirstname-HEW.pdf (for official application document)
- LastnameFirstname-HEW-UGTranscript.pdf (undergrad transcripts)
- LastnameFirstname-HEW-GradTranscript.pdf (graduate transcripts).
- If you have more than one PDF in a category, please denote by adding a number to the end.
EMail the entire package with either all PDFs combined into one file, or as individual attachments. Send the email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “LastName - Wallace”.
Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Your materials will be reviewed by an external committee of expert geoscientists from the academic, government, non-profit, and industry sectors. They will review the applications for rigor, clarity, scientific content, methods for conducting research, current and potential contributions to the profession, and career potential.
A final decision of the committee is expected by 1 April.