When you're asked, "What do you do for a living?" how do you respond?
"I'm a geoscientist."
But what does being a "geoscientist" really mean?
As geoscientists we investigate the physical processes of our planet. By understanding the interactions of Earth systems – geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, biosphere, and exosphere – geoscience helps us manage our greatest challenges and make the most of vital opportunities. Geoscientists are essential members of our communities. They provide explanations and creative solutions to society's use of resources, resiliency to natural hazards, and the health of the environment. Equally as important are the many geoscientists devoting their lives to educating the future generations.
The American Geosciences Institute and its fifty-two member societies provide geoscientists with a plethora of resources to help support YOU in your geoscience profession. These include:
- A community representing over a quarter million geoscientists globally.
- Career information for the established and new geoscientist.
- Community Statements on what it means to be a geoscientist.
- Tools to engage with the public, policy and decision makers, and students.
- Access to GeoRef, the most comprehensive database of geoscience literature.
- A professional code of ethics.
- Important publications providing current information in trends and research.
- Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) with GOLI.
AGI welcomes you to the global community of geoscientists. We are here to support your life-long learning and be a resource for your geoscience career. Look below and see what we can do for you.
AGI provides information on careers in the geosciences for the public, educators, and interested students. Explore the diverse career pathways of geoscientists and find your way towards making a difference.
Advance your career! Earn professional accreditation (CEUs) with the Geoscience Online Learning Initiative (GOLI), a series of continuing-education courses with flexibility to complete classes on your own schedule.