ALEXANDRIA, Va. — The American Geosciences Institute (AGI) is pleased to announce the launch of its new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion website, providing the geoscience community with a host of resources — some developed by AGI, and some by AGI Federation affiliates — addressing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
Through this website, users are linked directly to information on and ways to engage with:
- DEI initiatives and statements of dozens of AGI Federation affiliates
- A framework that geoscience societies can use to cultivate inclusion, increase equity, and address intersectionality across race, class, disability status, and gender
- A scholarship supporting geoscience graduate studies for a U.S. minority student who self-identifies as being of a minority background underrepresented in the geosciences
- Two scholarships supporting female geoscience graduate students in the United States
- An ad-hoc committee helping to coordinate the geoscience community's DEI efforts
- AGI's internal DEI committee working to ensure that the institute is a welcoming and inclusive organization effectively engaging with all populations
- Webinars hosted by AGI exploring issues of DEI in the geosciences, as well as recommendations for effectively addressing them
- A National Science Foundation-supported report and related resources on strengthening diversity in geoscience higher education
- A website promoting girls and women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, including related education resources
"Working in close collaboration with our member organizations, partners, and others, AGI supports a diverse and representative geoscience community," says AGI Executive Director Jonathan Arthur. "We can provide better geoscience solutions for society only when we provide opportunities for diverse experiences, perspectives, and participation within our community."
Explore the new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion website and related pages to tap into important resources and strategies for promoting a diverse geoscience workforce that empowers all to reach their highest potential: https://www.americangeosciences.org/diversity
About AGIgac@americangeosciences.orgThe American Geosciences Institute (AGI), a federation of scientific and professional associations representing over a quarter-million geoscientists, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to serving the geoscience community and addressing the needs of society. AGI headquarters are in Alexandria, Virginia. ____________ Contact: Geoff Camphire, Communications