This webinar features experts from federal and state government, who will discuss recent and ongoing activities coordinated at national and local levels to assess, mitigate, and communicate flood risk.
Background: Flooding is a perennial hazard for rivers and coasts alike. Every year, flooding results in billions of dollars of damage and the loss of dozens to hundreds of lives across the United States. Efforts to mitigate this hazard rely on the work of geoscientists, planners, and communicators to assess and minimize risks, prepare and inform communities, and ensure that lives and livelihoods are prioritized before, during, and after flood events.
Our speakers are:
- Marie Peppler, Federal Liaison and Flood Inundation Mapping Coordinator, U.S. Geological Survey | Slides Video
- Maria Cox Lamm, CFM, State Coordinator, Flood Mitigation Program, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources | Slides Video
- Iain Hyde, CFM, Deputy Director, Colorado Resiliency & Recovery Office | Slides Video
Webinar Co-Sponsors: American Association of Geographers, American Institute of Professional Geologists, American Meteorological Society, Association of State Floodplain Managers, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), International Association of Hydrogeologists: United States National Chapter, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Natural Hazard Mitigation Association, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
Certified Floodplain Managers who participate in the entire live webinar will earn 1 CEC from the Association of State Floodplain Managers.
Resources to learn more:
- View this webinar's Question & Answer session
- U.S. Geological Survey: Flood Inundation Mapping Program factsheet | website
- U.S. Geological Survey: Flood Inundation Mapper
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources: Flood Mitigation Program website
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources: Quick Guide to Floodplain Management in South Carolina
- Colorado United - website of the Colorado Resiliency & Recovery Office
- Colorado Resiliency Resource Center website
- Planning For Hazards - Land Use Solutions for Colorado website
- FloodSmart - website of the National Flood Insurance Program
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center website
- Association of State Floodplain Managers website
Search the Critical Issues Research Database for reports and factsheets about flood risk.