Geoscience is essential to our understanding and management of produced water, an inevitable by-product of oil and gas development. This Critical Issues webinar provides a scientific and regulatory background of produced water, how it is commonly disposed, what opportunities exist for the re-use of produced water, and what the environmental and regulatory challenges for re-using produced waters are.
Overarching questions addressed in this webinar include:
- What is produced water and how is it commonly disposed?
- What environmental concerns does produced water pose?
- What factors are influencing the demand for alternate applications of produced water?
- What alternate uses for produced waters exist? What challenges do these alternatives face?
Our speakers include:
- Kyle E. Murray, Ph.D., Oklahoma Geological Survey & University of Oklahoma | Slides Video
- Jeri Sullivan Graham, Los Alamos National Laboratory | Slides Video
- Holly Pearen, Environmental Defense Fund | Slides Video
To earn CEU credits, please complete the associated on-demand GOLI course that was developed from this webinar with a grade of 70% or higher and then submit your application for CEUs. CEUs are awarded from the American Institute of Professional Geologists. To view the full list of on-demand GOLI courses, please browse the GOLI course catalog.
Resources to learn more:
- View this webinar's Question & Answer session
- Water Resources Research from the Oklahoma Geological Survey
- U.S. EPA's Study of Hydraulic Fracturing for Oil and Gas and Its Potential Impact on Drinking Water Resources (www.epa.gov/hfstudy)
- National Research Council, 2010, Management and Effects of Coalbed Methane Produced Water in the Western United States
- National Academies, 2017, Flowback and Produced Waters: Opportunities and Challenges for Innovation - Proceedings of a Workshop
- U.S. Geological Survey, National Produced Waters Geochemical Database
- National Energy Technology Laboratory, Produced Water Management Technology Descriptions
Search the Geological Surveys Database for reports and factsheets about produced water.