The International Groundwater Resources Assessment Centre (IGRAC) hosts the Global Groundwater Information System (GGIS), an interactive set of maps with groundwater related information and knowledge.
Their “global overview” map shows, at the national level:
- Groundwater quality and quantity
- Aquifer characteristics, including:
- Extent of sandstone, gravel, limestone, metamorphic, and fissured aquifers
- Occurrence of karstified zones in carbonate aquifer rocks
- Extent of areas without significant aquifers
- Agricultural and economic statistics, such as:
- Groundwater and total water consumption for irrigation
- Crop and irrigated land surface areas
- Environmental information, such as:
- Total renewable internal and external water resources
- Extent of humid and arid land
- Hydrogeological properties, including:
- Lakes, rivers and ice sheets
- Groundwater abstraction and mining
- The boundaries of continuous permafrost
In addition to the “global overview” map, there are specific portals which users can access. These encompass transboundary groundwater, managed aquifer recharge projects, small island groundwater characteristics, and groundwater monitoring.
Click here to access the interactive map.