By the numbers: Virginia
- 8,782 geoscience employees (excludes self-employed)1
- 298 million gallons/day: total groundwater withdrawal3
- $1.25 billion: value of nonfuel mineral production in 20174
- 64 total disaster declarations, including 17 severe storm, 15 flood, and 13 hurricane disasters (1953-2017)⁶
- $18.8 million: NSF GEO grants awarded in 201714...
Agencies Working on Geoscience Issues in virginia
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management works with local government, state and federal agencies and voluntary organizations to provide resources and expertise through the five mission areas of emergency management.
The Department of Environmental Quality protects and enhances Virginia’s environment, and promotes the health and well being of the citizens of the Commonwealth. The DEQ has programs in air, water, land protection, renewable energy, coastal zone management, pollution prevention, and environmental information.
DMME’s purpose is to enhance the development and conservation of energy and mineral resources in a safe and environmentally sound manner in order to support a more productive economy in Virginia.