By the numbers: Florida
- 13,696 geoscience employees (excludes self-employed)1
- 3.77 billion gallons/day: total groundwater withdrawal3
- $3.15 billion: value of nonfuel mineral production in 20174
- 122 total disaster declarations, including 42 fire, 34 hurricane, and 22 severe storm disasters (1953-2017)⁶
- $19.6 million: NSF GEO grants awarded in 201714...
Agencies Working on Geoscience Issues in florida
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) protects, conserves and manages Florida's natural resources and enforces the state's environmental laws.
The mission of the Florida Division of Emergency Management is to work together to ensure that Florida is prepared to respond to emergencies, recover from them, and mitigate against their impacts.
The Florida Geological Survey's mission is to collect, interpret and provide objective quality geologic information about Florida.