By the numbers: New York
- 18,291 geoscience employees (excludes self-employed)1
- 890 million gallons/day: total groundwater withdrawal3
- $1.28 billion: value of nonfuel mineral production in 20174
- 93 total disaster declarations, including 27 severe storm, 23 flood, and 19 snow disasters (1953-2017)6
- $55.8 million: NSF GEO grants awarded in 2017...
Agencies Working on Geoscience Issues in new york
The mission of the New York State Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is to protect the lives and property of the citizens of New York State from threats posed by natural or man-made events. To fulfill this mission, OEM coordinates emergency management services with other federal and State agencies to support county and local governments.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) was created on July 1, 1970 to combine in a single agency all state programs designed to protect and enhance the environment.